Avoiding home insurance claims throughout the year in Amityville, NY is important to keep your home insurance down, but many things can go wrong in the winter that can be avoided.
- Be Smart about Fires: Home fires are popular in the winter, especially with candles. The top three days for candle fires include Christmas Day, New Years Day, and New Year’s Eve. Keep candles at least 12 inches away from anything that can burn. Also, be careful with Christmas trees. They aren’t as common, but fires can happen if your tree is located too close to a heat source. Be sure to remove the tree after Christmas and when it is dry. Be sure also to test your fire alarms to keep your home safe throughout the season. You may even get a discount for having proper smoke alarms and carbon monoxide alarms in your home. Speak with an agent at The Budde Agency Inc. for more information.
- Be Safe in the Kitchen: With more winter parties and cooking happening, you don’t want to leave the kitchen unattended while the stove is on. Kitchen fires are the leading cause of fires throughout the year.
- Inspect the Fireplace: Have your fireplace inspected and cleaned out so that when those cold nights hit, you can safely have a fire and not worry about it causing any damage.
- Protect Pipes: Winter is prime time for your pipes to freeze, and this can cause a lot of water damage. Protect your pipes by avoiding any rapid drops in temperature, keeping the thermostat just right, and installing some insulation.
- Prevent Thefts: The holidays and the winter season usually see an increase in thefts with all the new gifts. Lock the doors, keep the garage doors closed, and keep the blinds closed not to let people peek into your home.
Contact The Budde Agency Inc., serving Amityville, NY, to get a quote on home insurance.